Challenge Cup Semifinal (Match 6)

Home Forums Prediction Game Challenge Cup Semifinal (Match 6)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Richard Hamje
    Keymaster

The Thorns Prediction Game: Reading the PTFC Leaves

Rob sets a record, in their rookie match, with 14 of a possible 16 points, including the wild prediction of Courage players sleeping in the box – like Merrick did. Daniel called the victory and remains second overall. Everyone else in Portland was astonished that the Thorns won!

The semi-final match is Wednesday morning at 9:30 against the Houston Dash. Pre-tourney many thought that Houston would be a pushover, vying with Orlando for the wooden spoon. Clearly that was wrong. They have nowhere near the pace and scoring threats of the Courage (who does?) but cannot be discounted.

How this works:
    Add a comment to this post. In the comment title put your predicted result, for example 3-1 Thorns.
    In the body of your comment, start with the goals and assists, like so:
    Charley (Klingenberg)
    Sinclair (Free kick)
    Weaver (Unassisted)
    Daley (PK)

Next, name the first yellow card recipient: First yellow to Mewis.
    Then reds, if any. (NOTE: no points awarded for correctly calling a red-card-free match, so take a guess.) Shea Groom, of course.
    Make your fun prediction: The Thorns release a video of a team cup-stacking contest using empty ice cream pints.

Scoring:
    · Correct score: 5 points
    · Correct result (draw/win/loss): 3 points
    · Each clean sheet: 2 points
    · Each goal-scorer: 1 point
    · Each FK/PK/assist/lack of assist: 1 point
    · Goal/assist bonus: 1 point
    · Player with the first yellow card of the match: 1 point
    · Each player with a red card: 1 point (Cannot earn points for predicting 0 red cards)
    · Most recommended/most outrageously accurate prediction: 2 points

Some ground rules and explanations/clarifications (the fine print):
    Comments must be posted before kickoff, but you can edit or amend an earlier prediction right up to the starting whistle.
    Keep your scoreline predictions realistic. No crazy scores just to pad out your odds of getting goals and assists.
    The goal/assist bonus is an additional point if you predict the correct scorer and assistant on the same goal, for example, you say Menges scores from a Boureille assist and that is exactly what happens. P.S. if you say exactly that, and it happens, I will hunt you down and buy you a beer!
    Be clear whether you think a goal will be unassisted, assisted, or from a PK/FK. Unassisted = no assist, run of play; Assisted = player who got the assist; PK/FK = not in run of play. For the purposes of this thread, Penalty Kick and Free Kick are the same thing. No entry means unassisted.

Have fun, tell your friends, let me know if you have any questions or if I screw up your score.

Daniel Stratton
    Participant

To make my prophesy come true from the last game Thorns bow out here. The team does go full Dean scream and fizzles out right after an impressive win. 2-1 win for Houston.

Lussi (Kling) corner kick
    Mewis
    Daly

FY Salem
    RC Campbell

Campbell comes running out of the box to try and collect a soft back pass gets beat to the ball by Weaver. Campbell can only closeline Weaver to stop the obvious goal scoring oppertunity and is actually given a red card.

John Lawes

I’d like to predict a Thorns win in regulation time, but my guess is a scoreless draw through 90. But then we go to PKs, and Campbell is a beast against the spot-kick, so I’ll guess 4-3 Houston in the lottery.

YC: Mewis
    RC: Mewis (2YC)

After picking up her third nasty turf burn of the tournament in the final moments of the match, Klingenberg is so furious with the conditions of the pitch that as the rest of the teams are cooling down and socializing she sneaks into the equipment room, soaks a bunch of pinnies with lighter fluid, and tries to set fire to the corner flag. Her teammates dump the water bucket on it and her and lead her away cursing like a sailor.

Constant Weeder
    Participant

Thorns 2-0 Dash

Sinclair (PK)
    Rodriguez (Sinclair)

YC: Schmidt
    RC: Visalli

Before the anthem is played, unidentified federal agents in combat gear arrive at Rio Tinto, saying they are there to enforce the new “Salute The Flag, USA” (STFU) executive order. They are turned away at the gate by Lisa Baird, Sarah Gorden, Jessica McDonald. Amy Rodriguez, and Michelle Vasconcelos, wearing yellow Wall of Moms T-shirts.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.